Kernowlaw takes your privacy and confidentiality very seriously, especially as the nature of our work includes criminal offence data.  To be able to provide you with assistance, we have to collect, use, store and sometimes share your personal data.  This makes us subject to your instructions, relevant legislation (such as the UK General Data Protection Regulation) and our professional duty.


We are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office and if you want to know more about your data protection, please go to the ICO


Kernowlaw wants to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point after taking on your case, you become unhappy or concerned about our service, then you should inform us immediately so that we can do our best to resolve the problem in the first instance.  Please firstly contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concern and we will do our best to resolve it.  You can be assured that making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.


If we are unable to resolve your concern ourselves, you can refer a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. They will look at your complaint independently and, again, it will not affect how we handle your case.  Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve it with us first. If you decide to take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman, you must do so:


Within six months of receiving our final response to you; and

No more than one year from the date of the act or omission that you are concerned about; or

Within one year from when you could reasonably have known there was cause for a complaint.


For more information about the Legal Ombudsman and how to contact them, please go to the Legal Ombudsman


If you have any concerns about our behaviour, you can refer this to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.  For more information about how to do this, please go to the SRA